Ulladulla’s lighthouse at Warden Head is part of a network of navigational aids maintained around Australia’s 20,000 kilometre coastline for the safety of ships and other crafts.
Located at the Eastern end of Deering St Ulladulla, a 5 minute drive from the centre of Ulladulla.
The iron lighthouse was built in 1871 and was originally located at the entrance to Ulladulla harbour. The first Lighthouse keeper was William Gambell, an ex-sea captain who lived with his wife and family in a slab house on the beach. The lighthouse was re-erected to Ulladulla’s south headland – Warden’s Head in 1889.
It was designed in the Colonial Architect’s Office by Edward Moriarty in the same style as the Wollongong Breakwater Light. It is one of only two lighthouses in New South Wales made from wrought iron plates. At Wardens Head the lighthouse first had a fixed light of 800 candles operating.
In 1920 the original oil lamp was replaced with a flashing light powered by acetylene gas for automatic operation and the station was demanned. In 1922 the lighthouse keepers cottage was re-erected from Warden Head to Milton, where it still stands today.
The next conversion was to to electricity in 1964. The light is now battery operated and float charged from 240v mains supply. The current road out to Warden’s Head and car park was developed by the Ulladulla Council in the mid 1940s to encourage visitors to the lighthouse. in 2021/2022 Crown land construction viewing platforms over looking the ocean.
Ulladulla Lighthouse Warden Head
Current operational Data.
Character : Group flashing 2 every 10 seconds.
Intensity: 28,000 candelas. Range: 17 nautical miles.
Elevation of Lighthouse: 34 metres.
Historic photos of Ulladulla lighthouse (Ulladulla Harbour and Warden Head) from private collection of Historian Cathy Dunn.